35th Infantry (Cacti) Regiment Association

Back    KIA Index    Search

  MAJ Gerard Michael Wynn    In memory of our fallen brother

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"

1st Battalion
35th Infantry Regiment

Vietnam War

"Not For Fame or Reward
Not For Place or For Rank
But In Simple Obedience To
Duty as They Understood It"

National Defense Service Medal Vietnam Service Medal Vietnam Campaign Medal Vietnam Campaign Medal

The 35th Infantry Regiment Association salutes our fallen brother, MAJ Gerard Michael Wynn, who died in the service of his country on November 14th, 1967 in Quang Tin Province, Vietnam. The cause of death was listed as Helicopter Crash. At the time of his death Gerard was 34 years of age. He was from North Arlington, New Jersey. Gerard is honored on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial at Panel 29E, Line 98.

The decorations earned by MAJ Gerard Michael Wynn include: the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Parachute Badge, the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Vietnam Campaign Medal and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation.



The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the Silver Star Medal (Posthumously) to Gerard Michael Wynn (0-73940), Major (Infantry), United States Army, for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations against an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. On 13 and 14 November 1967 Major Wynn distinguished himself while serving as Operations Staff Officer of the 1st Battalion, 35th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division, operating near Xuan Que. Companies A and B were heavily engaged with a large force of determined North Vietnamese Regulars. Major Wynn and the Battalion Command flew to the area in the Command and Control helicopter. To better direct the companies' efforts, they elected to fly extremely low to overcome the poor visibility in spite of increasing the danger of being hit by enemy fire. While deploying the companies to maintain contact with the North Vietnamese, they flew directly over the enemy forces and were hit. The helicopter was downed but Major Wynn was airborne within an hour and again aiding the ground forces. The next morning, Major Wynn and the Battalion Commander continued their mission and again elected to direct operations from an extremely low altitude. Once more their helicopter received heavy automatic weapons fire. The helicopter went out of control and crashed. Major Wynn was mortally wounded in the crash. His personal courage and devotion to his men and to his duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.