35th Infantry (Cacti) Regiment Association

Back    KIA Index    Search

  PFC Larry Richard Jackson    In memory of our fallen brother

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"

Delta Company
2nd Battalion
35th Infantry Regiment

Vietnam War

"Not For Fame or Reward
Not For Place or For Rank
But In Simple Obedience To
Duty as They Understood It"

National Defense Service Medal Vietnam Service Medal Vietnam Campaign Medal Vietnam Campaign Medal

The 35th Infantry Regiment Association salutes our fallen brother, PFC Larry Richard Jackson, who died in the service of his country on January 8th, 1968 in Quang Tin Province, Vietnam. The cause of death was listed as Rocket/Mortar. At the time of his death Larry was 20 years of age. He was from Beetle, Kentucky. Larry is honored on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial at Panel 34E, Line 8.

The decorations earned by PFC Larry Richard Jackson include: the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Vietnam Campaign Medal and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation.


From the book Through the Valley, Vietnam, 1967-1968 by James F Humphries, at p. 134:

"More troops were on the way to reinforce 4-31. During the early evening hours of 8 January the Americal Division had directed the 2-35th Infantry, 3d Brigade, 4th Infantry Division into the Hiep Duc Valley. The 2-35th Infantry would share FSB West with 4-31 and operate between Hill 445 and the Chang River. The battalion's Company D would go first, with the remainder of 2-35 closing sometime on the 10th.

Shortly before 1600 the company commander of D/2-35 and one of his platoon leaders landed on the FSB's resupply pad (Company D had the task of setting up security in the 2-35 sector of the firebase). The new officers were standing near the pad, probably trying to get their bearings, when Lt Ervin P. Bridges Jr. walked over to give them a friendly warning. The FSB had been subjected to a healthy amount of mortar fire for the past week and the crisply pad was one of the Nova's favorite targets. Bridges told Lt. Chat Larson later that he went over and told the company commander that it would be a good idea if he dispersed his people because the NVA had their pad zeroed in with their 82mm mortars. The captain told him something like, "Lieutenant, you let me worry about my people." Knowing better than to argue with a captain, Bridges turned and walked away. Shortly afterward--maybe a minute--a mortar round slammed into the pad, Killing the platoon leader (Blankenship) and severely wounding the company commander."

And from page 138:

"By 0430 (9 January) the movement had ceased, and the NVA pulled back down the hill. Mellon reported the company at 50 percent alert. Company D, 2-35th Infantry, in positions on the south side of the perimeter, had two (Jackson and Quitmeyer) killed and three wounded during the NVA attack."

And from page 162:

"At the end of February, the 3d Brigade, 4th Infantry Division ceded its operational area to the 196th LIB and, minus the 2-35th Infantry that followed later, moved south to rejoin the 4th Infantry Division. ... When the dust settled 4-31 was on LZ Colt; 1-6 had secured LZ Baldy; 2-35 had FSB Ryder; 2-1 was at LZ Ross; 3-21 remained on FSB Center; and 1-1st Cavalry Squadron continued to operate in the eastern sector of the Que Son Valley and the coastal lowlands."