35th Infantry Regiment (Cacti) Association

Back    KIA Index    Search

  SSG Albert Klynstra    In memory of our fallen brother

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"

George Company
35th Infantry Regiment
World War II

"Not For Fame or Reward
Not For Place or For Rank
But In Simple Obedience To
Duty as They Understood It"

The 35th Infantry Regiment Association salutes our fallen brother, SSG Albert Klynstra, 06832738, who died in the service of his country on April 19th, 1945 in Luzon. The cause of death was listed as KIA-DOW. At the time of his death Albert was 30 years of age. He was from Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The decorations earned by SSG Albert Klynstra include: the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

Albert was a mechanical repairman in civilian life. He was married.
He is buried in the Manila American Cemetery. Albert was a Canadian citizen.

Albert enlisted 23 June 1942. He was married to Clare L Klynstra, who was working for Bank of Detroit at the time of his death.

(From Perry Ball, G Company Historian)

I just found the following quote in the April 30 1945 entry in Sgt. Tom F. Hardins dairy. It was written six days after Pfc. Flick was injured and five days after he died of his wounds, which was why I missed it:

"Klynstraw and Flick have died from wounds received a few days ago. They only lived a few hours. All of us feel this great loss. Both were good men. May their souls rest in peace, be it Gods will."

That statement was followed two paragraphs later by this update on the state of G Company at that time:

"We have 79 men left now. We are nearly half strength now (full strength is about 185). We have lost 21 since receiving the 40 replacements on the hill to our rear."

(From Perry Ball's "Sgt Roach's Story")

On April 17 a barrage of mortar shells then began to land on the northern edge of the G Company position occupied by the 2nd Platoon and where McConeghey and Dundas had just returned. 2nd Platoon Sergeant SSGT Albert Klynstra of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada. and Pfc. Don Herald from the Communications Section of the Headquarters Platoon were killed and 10 others were wounded. The barrage virtually wiped out the 2nd Platoon McConeghey said he was close to being unconscious when he saw Klynstra in a foxhole off to his right. Klynstra was leaning against the back of his foxhole after the end of the mortar barrage and knew he had been mortally wounded. He looked up into the sky, lifted his arms, and said, "God, forgive me my sins." He lost consciousness shortly afterwards. McConeghey also recalled seeing Pfc. Belton E. Owens kneeling over his close friend Pfc. Herald