35th Infantry Regiment (Cacti) Association

Back    KIA Index    Search

  1LT Elmore McNeill Bostwick Jr.    In memory of our fallen brother

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"

Charlie Company
35th Infantry Regiment
World War II

"Not For Fame or Reward
Not For Place or For Rank
But In Simple Obedience To
Duty as They Understood It"

The 35th Infantry Regiment Association salutes our fallen brother, 1LT Elmore McNeill Bostwick Jr., who died in the service of his country on March 31st, 1945 in Luzon, The Phillippines. The cause of death was listed as MIA-KIA. At the time of his death Elmore was 27 years of age. He was from New York City, New York.

The decorations earned by 1LT Elmore McNeill Bostwick Jr. include: the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

Remains never recovered and listed on The Tablets of The Missing, Manila.

Birth: Feb. 14, 1918
Houston County
Texas, USA
Death: Jul. 31, 1945
Central Luzon, Philippines

Enlisted, Feb. 20, 1937, in Troop K, 101st Cavalry Regiment ( Squadron A ), New York City. He was a member of Troop D, 101st Cavalry, when it was federalized, on Jan. 27, 1941. The federalization was to be for one year, but then came December 7, 1941. He was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant, Cavalry, Jan. 27, 1941. Later transferred and served with Company C, 35th Infantry Regiment, 25th Division. Killed in action, March 31, 1945, on Luzon, Philippines. His remains were never recovered .

Awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star.

Education, Harvard University, 1939

Career, staff of the March of Time

NY Times, April 24, 1945, death notice
Putnam County Courier , April 26, 1945, page 3, obituary
NY Sun, April 25, 1945, page 38, page 38

( credit for research Linda Robinson )

"Shortly after dusk on the 30th, a large Japanese force attacked C Company from all sides. The attack continued fiercely throughout the night. At dawn the company began to withdraw to the bulldozer road, and immediately came under attack by about one hundred fifty Japs in three groups. A Company moved out from the Battalion perimeter around the 64th Field Artillery Battalion's position to go to their aid. But the Japs had thrown three separate road blocks across the approaches to the Roller Coaster Road and no connection could be made. Battalion Headquarters Company, "Smoot's Galoot's" (The Company of Guerillas attached to the regiment, and commanded by Captain Robert Smoot), and finally F Company of the 2d battalion were brought into the struggle to break the road block. At 1900, the last of the blocks was reduced, and C and A Companies made contact. About fifty five Japs were killed during the fight, at a cost of one officer and six of our men killed, four wounded, and one officer missing in action."