35th Infantry (Cacti) Regiment Association

Back    KIA Index    Search

  PFC John Ylinen    In memory of our fallen brother

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"

Fox Company
35th Infantry Regiment
Korean War

"Not For Fame or Reward
Not For Place or For Rank
But In Simple Obedience To
Duty as They Understood It"

National Defense Service Medal Korean Service Medal United Nations Korean Service Medal Republic of Korea War Service Medal

The 35th Infantry Regiment Association salutes our fallen brother, PFC John Ylinen, RA36189389, who died in the service of his country on July 22nd, 1950 in South Korea. The cause of death was listed as MIA to KIA. At the time of his death John was 37 years of age. He was from Trenary, Michigan. John's Military Occupation Specialty was 4745-Light Weapons Infantryman.

The decorations earned by PFC John Ylinen include: the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Bronze Star with V, the Purple Heart, the National Defense Service Medal, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Korea Service Medal, and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

Private First Class Ylinen was a member of the 35th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in South Korea on July 22, 1950. Private First Class Ylinen was awarded the Purple Heart, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

Due to his WWII Service, John also received these awards: Combat Infantryman's Badge (2nd award), WWII Victory Medal, EAME Campaign Ribbon w/5 Battle Clusters, American Campaign Ribbon, (3) Purple Heart Medals, Army of Occupation Medal (Japan), and Army Good Conduct Medal

Burial,Mathias Township Cemetery, Trenary, Mi

I never met my uncle John. He was my dad's only brother. They both served in WWII from 1942 to 1945. Then John re-enlisted in 1949 and, after being assigned to Japan for occupation duty, was send to Korea at the outset of the war. He was wounded twice in WWII then subsequently KIA in Korea. He was pronounced MIA for about eighteen months until Jan 1952 before finally being pronounced KIA. The final Army report to our family was that he was KIA on July 22, 1950 and all indications was that he was killed instantly. This is still a mystery to me and my family. I wonder how he died but more importantly wonder how the world would be different if he was still alive. (Darren Ylinen)